Monday, April 6, 2009

21 degrees and sunny

Wow, it's another beautiful day in Dalian. I didn't even need a coat today for flag ceremony. Every Monday morning the whole school meets outside in perfectly straight lines for a half-hour assembly when we raise the school and country flags and sing the Chinese anthem, the Canadian anthem, and the school song:

Gentle navy ocean unites two great nations
Over brilliant waters comes the pride of Dalian
Oh, Maple Leaf, oh, Dalian
Maple Leaf, working hard together for our future
Maple Leaf, working hard together for our future
Blending finest of our nations, that's the spirit of Maple Leaf!
Blending finest of our nations, that's the spirit of Dalian!

I was just thankful for the opportunity to get some rays of sunshine on my face. I would love to go for a bike ride after school, but I have guitar club and I'm not going to pass up the chance to play guitar with Justin, Dan, and Anjali, and build up these callouses on my fingers. This week is a little crazy for me because Lillian just had her baby, so I'm going to be covering her classes for a month. That means that today I teach blocks B-H with no preps (8:40 AM - 4:40 PM) and I get to mark an extra set of math tests. At least it means a bit of a bonus since I'm officially broke - I'll be living off $30 for the next two weeks. Thankfully $30 goes a long way in China and I've already cooked enough food to cover me until the end of the term. I love living off the leftovers in my freezer.

No comments: